This is a popular basic Almond Bread recipe. My friend Shelly makes better Almond Bread. She adds extra ingredients such as Cardamom, Glazed Cherries and other mystery ingredients. Her secret recipe will never be revealed. Oh well… I am happy with this recipe.
20 Pieces *Depends on how thinly you slice the cake
Egg Whites 3
Caster Sugar 1/2 cup
Plain Flour 1 cup *sifted
Whole Almonds 250g
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Using electric mixer, beat Egg Whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in Sugar until dissolved. This should turn the egg mixture glossy.
- Fold in sifted Plain Flour and Almonds. Transfer the mixture into the lined loaf tin and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden.
- Remove the bread from tin and allow to cool.
- Lower oven temperature to 120C. Slice the bread into thin slices and place on oven trays.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until dry and crisp. Cool on a wire rack.