I rarely make Pizza at home, but I make Flammkuchen very often. Flammkuchen is not well known in Melbourne where I live. It’s a pity people don’t know about it. Flammkuchen is sometimes called ‘German Pizza’ and it is quite easy to make at home. Toppings can be anything. Today I made slightly sweet one with Apple and Cinnamon. Sweetened Sour Cream, Apple and Cinnamon couldn’t go bad.
2 to 4 Servings
1 heaped cup Plain Flour OR Bread Flour *about 1 & 1/4 cups
1 teaspoon Baking Powder *optional
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Warm Water
1 tablespoon Oil *I used Sunflower Oil
100g Sour Cream *OR Creme Fraiche
2 teaspoons Caster Sugar
1 Apple *thinly (1-2mm) sliced
- Combine Flour and Salt in a bowl. (Baking Powder is optional. I usually don’t add it.) Add Warm Water and Oil. Mix until a dough comes together. Knead, adding more Flour if required, until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions if you prefer. Roll out or flatten the dough into a thin oblong or round, and place on a baking tray(s), lined with baking paper if necessary.
- Mix Sour Cream (OR Creme Fraiche) and Sugar, spread on the base, arrange Apple slices, and sprinkle with some Ground Cinnamon.
- Bake in a hot oven over 200℃ until nicely browned and edges are crispy. *Today I baked it at 230℃ for 12 minutes. *Note: Make sure the baking surface is hot to achieve crispy bottom.
- Sprinkle with extra Sugar if you like, and enjoy.