Using canned Apples, diced OR sliced, this classic dessert is super quick and easy to make. When Apples are in season OR you have lots of Apples from your backyard tree, you might prefer cooking fresh Apples, and that would taste the best. I like Apple filling in this dessert absolutely soft, and that’s why canned Apples are perfect.
4 to 6 Servings
800g Canned Apple Slices OR Diced Apples
*Note: If you use fresh Apples, you would need 4 to 6 Apples, see ‘Method 2 & 3’
2 tablespoons White Sugar OR Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice OR Ground Cinnamon *optional
125g Butter *very soft OR melted
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
2 Eggs *room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Milk *slightly warmed
- Drain canned Apples if there is any liquid. Fill a deep pie dish OR baking dish, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Sugar. Scatter some Sultanas. *Note: Sprinkle with Lemon Juice OR Ground Cinnamon, but they are optional.
- If you use fresh Apples, cut each Apple into 4 wedges, peel and remove the core, then cut into 2-3cm pieces. Place in a saucepan, add 1-2 tablespoons Water, cover with a lid, and simmer until softened.
- Add Sugar, mix to combine, then transfer to a deep pie dish or baking dish, and scatter some Sultanas. *Note: Sprinkle with Lemon Juice OR Ground Cinnamon if you want to add them.
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- To make the Sponge Topping, use a whisk to beat Butter and Caster Sugar In a mixing bowl, add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add Vanilla, Self-raising Flour and Milk, and mix well.
- Heat the Apple filling in the microwave if the filling is cold, cover with the batter, and bake for 40 minutes OR until batter is cooked through. *Note: If top gets too dark, lower the heat. If the filling and batter are cold, it would take longer time to get cooked.
- Serve hot with Cream, Custard OR Ice Cream, etc.