‘Tataki’ refers to Beef or Fish that is lightly seared over high heat using a grid, leaving the center very rare. Cooking ‘Beef Tataki’ in the proper way is quite demanding. But my recipe is easy. Some people cook Beef in the oven, but I use a frying pan. This dish is quite easy to prepare. The most important point is choosing a nice tender piece of Beef.
Fresh Beef Fillet 600 to 700g
Ginger 1 small piece *grated
Garlic 1 clove *grated
Oil 1/2 tablespoon
Garlic 1 to 2 cloves *sliced into thin strips
Your Favourite Sauce
Ponzu + Sesame Oil, Wasabi, Garlic, Ginger or your favourite flavour
Prepare the sauce. The sauce for Beef Tataki is Ponzu base. Ponzu itself is quite nice, but you can add Sesame Oil, Wasabi, Garlic or Ginger for more flavours. Create your own Tataki sauce.
>> See Dipping Sauce Page
- Sprinkle Salt, Pepper, Grated Ginger and Grate Garlic onto the Beef, and massage well.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and cook Beef on all sides turning occasionally, until all sides are well browned.
- Dip the Beef in ice water for a few seconds, dry with paper towel and wrap it with plastic wrap. Place it in freezer to half freeze. This will make it easier to slice.
- While freezing the Beef, slice Onion very thinly. Chop up Spring Onion and slice Garlic into thin strips.
- Slice the half frozen Beef very thinly.
- Arrange Baby Spinach and the thinly sliced Onion onto a large plate, then place Beef slices on top. Sprinkle chopped Spring Onion, Garlic strips and the sauce. You can serve the sauce as a dipping sauce if you like.