As you know, ‘Bibimbap’ is a Korean dish, and the word literally means ‘Mixed Rice’ which is same as ‘Mazegohan’ in Japanese. I particularly like ‘Hot Stone Pot Bibimbap’ that is served in a very hot stone bowl. The stone bowl is so hot that anything that touches it sizzles, and the rice becomes browned and crispy.
I don’t have such a stone bowl but I can cook a similar dish using an ordinary frying pan. This dish is so yummy and also entertaining to eat. My daughter complained that there was no egg in it. OK… add some eggs if you like.
Spinach 1 bunch
Bean Sprouts 300g *Soy Bean Sprouts recommended!
Carrot 1 *sliced into thin strips
Kimchi 1/2 cup
Sesame Oil, Salt, Soy Sauce, Toasted Sesame Seeds
*Other Ingredients Suggestions: Shiitake or Shimeji Mushrooms, Cucumber, Enoki, Daikon, Wakame Seaweeds, Zucchini, Lettuce, Shungiku (Edible Chrysanthemum)
Beef Steaks 500g *thinly sliced, OR Beef Mince can be used
Sesame Oil 1/2 tablespoon
Garlic 1 clove *grated
Ginger 1 small piece *grated
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Mirin 1 tablespoon
Gochujang (Red Chili Paste) 2 to 3 teaspoons
Soy Sauce 2 tablespoons
Freshly Cooked Japanese Short Grain Rice 4 servings
Sesame Oil 1 tablespoon
- Wash Spinach well and blanch in boiling water. Dip in cold water to stop cooking further, drain well and squeeze to remove excess water. Cut into 5cm length and season lightly with Salt, Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce and mix with Toasted Sesame Seeds.
- Cook and season Bean Sprouts and Carrot in same way. Basically blanch the vegetables and season lightly. Note: You may prefer stir-frying them with small amount of oil.
- To make the sauce for Beef, mix Garlic, Ginger, Sugar, Mirin, Gochujang and Soy Sauce in a small bowl. Heat the small mount of Sesame Oil in a frying pan over a medium to high heat and cook Beef. Add the sauce and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer the Beef mixture onto a plate and wash the frying pan, OR prepare another large frying pan.
- Heat Sesame Oil in the frying pan, place freshly cooked rice on the pan evenly and cook until the bottom is golden brown and crispy. DO NOT stir!
- Remove from heat. Arrange Vegetables and Beef mixture over the rice and serve. Before eating, mix everything well. Be careful not to burn yourself as the frying pan is hot. *Note: Paella pan or cast iron pot would be nicer option for this dish.