I often use canned Butter Beans for sweets as the sweetened Butter Bean Paste tastes very similar to Japanese ‘Shiro-an’ (Sweet White Bean Paste). Just like Sweet Azuki (Red Bean) Paste, it is a great filling for Buns, Rolls, Cakes and Pies. Today I added Cocoa, Sultanas and Walnuts, and simply sandwiched the mixture with Butter Puff Pastry.
36 OR 24 Pieces
2 sheets Frozen Butter Puff Pastry
200g Canned Butter Beans
*You get about 200g Beans from a 400g can
1 pinch Salt *add a little more if the Butter Beans are not salted
4 to 5 tablespoons Caster Sugar *1 tablespoon is 15ml
1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder *optional
1 tablespoon Rum *Read ‘Method 2’
1/4 cup Sultanas OR Raisins *finely chopped
1/4 cup Roasted Walnuts *finely chopped
- To make the filling, rinse Butter Beans and drain well. Place into a bowl and use a stick blender to make them into paste. Add Salt, Sugar and Rum, and process until smooth. *Note: You can use a food processor.
- *Note: If you don’t add Rum, OR add a small amount of Vanilla instead, you would need some moisture. Add a small amount of Milk or Water.
- Add finely chopped Sultanas (OR Raisins) and Walnuts, and combine well.
- Preheat oven to 200℃. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Cut a Butter Puff Pastry sheet in half, spread 1/2 of the filling on a cut sheet and cover with the other.
- Cut into 3 pieces, then cut each into 6 OR 4 pieces. Repeat with the other sheet and the remaining filling.
- Place on the prepared baking trays. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden, then place on a wire rack to cool.
- *Note: The photo below is the same ‘Butter Bean Paste Stuffed Puffs’, but I didn’t add Cocoa Powder to the mixture and I cut each sheet into 12 pieces (24 pieces in total).
Leave a Reply