I had some leftover Buttermilk that I wanted to use up. I decided to bake Cornbread, but I used raw Chickpeas instead of Cornmeal. The result was so good and now I want to share with everyone how I made it.
I used 20cm Square Tin
1 cup Dry Chickpeas *soaked in water overnight, drained
1 cup Butter Milk OR Milk
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Salt
50g Parmesan *shredded OR grated
1 tablespoon Rosemary Leaves *finely chopped
1 cup Self-Raising Flour OR Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder *add extra 1 teaspoon if Plain Flour is used
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line the base and sides of a cake tin with baking paper.
- Place soaked and drained raw Chickpeas in a food processor or blender that is powerful enough.
- Place Eggs, Butter Milk (OR Milk), Olive Oil and Salt as well, and process until finely chopped and well combined. Transfer to a bowl. *Note: If you use a food processor, you could add coarsely chopped Parmesan as well.
- Add Parmesan, Rosemary, Flour and Baking Powder, and mix well until well combined. Pour into the prepared tin, and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Enjoy it straight away. *Note: Cold Chickpea Bread can be sliced and toasted.
Leave a Reply