Probably you won’t taste Coconut in this bread. This bread tastes like ordinary bread, but it smells good. Today I used 1/2 cup Coconut Milk and 1/2 cup Water. For stronger Coconut flavour, you can increase the amount of Coconut Milk. You might prefer using Coconut Milk only.
Standard Loaf Tin
2 cups Bread Flour *plus extra
2 tablespoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Dry Yeast
1/2 cup Coconut Milk *save 1/2 tablespoon to brush
1/2 cup Water
*Note: For stronger Coconut flavour, you can use Coconut Milk only. You would need 1 cup Coconut Milk if you don’t add Water.
1 tablespoon Oil OR melted Butter *plus extra to grease the loaf tin
- Combine Flour, Sugar, Salt and Dry Yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Place Coconut Milk and Water (OR Coconut Milk only) in a heat-proof measuring cup, and warm in the microwave. Add to the warmed Coconut Milk mixture and Oil (OR melted Butter) to the flour mixture, and mix well. Knead until smooth, adding extra Flour as required, and form a soft dough.
- Cover with a plate or plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out each portion into a ball and place in a greased loaf tin, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Brush the top with saved Coconut Milk (*optional) and bake for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned. When the top gets too dark, cover with a sheet of foil.
- Remove from loaf tin to wire rack and cool.