The jellies made with Agar Agar powder (OR Japanese Kanten) have unique crispy texture. I usually make Milk Agar Jelly with regular Milk and Condensed Milk. The other day I used Coconut milk, and the result was fantastic. I am now writing down how I made it. You can add some Fruit to it. See the photos below. The jelly can be set in serving glasses OR jelly moulds. It can be set in a large jelly mould OR a container, and cut into serving sizes.
*Note: If you add Fruit, it would be enough for 6 Servings
1 cup Coconut Milk *warmed until solid clumps melted
6 tablespoons Sugar *1 tablespoon is 15ml
1 pinch Salt
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup Water
1 teaspoon (5ml) Agar Agar Powder *I used Golden Cup Agar Agar Powder
Additional Fruit *Mango, Pineapple, Peach, etc.
- Place Coconut Milk in a heat-proof measuring jug or bowl, heat in the microwave, and warm it until solidified clumps melted. Add Sugar, Salt and Vanilla extract, and mix well.
- Place Water and Agar Agar Powder in a saucepan, mix well, and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Add Coconut Milk mixture and mix well using a whisk. Allow it to cool slightly, but do not leave it for too long because this Jelly sets at room temperature.
- Pour the jelly mixture into the serving glasses OR jelly mould(s). Leave in the fridge until set. If you add Fruit, cut them into small pieces, and place them in the glasses OR moulds first, then pour the jelly mixture.
- *Note: The jelly can be set in a large jelly mould OR a container, and cut into serving size.