‘Butterfly Pea’ is a plant and its flowers look like Sweet Pea flowers but the colour is blue. Dried Butterfly Pea Flowers are often used to make a blue coloured tea. I was very curious and I purchase a bag of Dried Butterfly Pea Flowers. The tea was indeed very blue and I was impressed. Acidic ingredients such as Lemon Juice change the blue colour to purple. Today I made the tea into this beautiful jelly, however, the tea has no pleasant fragrance or taste.
2 x 1 teaspoon Gelatine Powder *Read ‘Method 5’
2 x 1 tablespoon Water
2 teaspoons Dried Butterfly Pea Flowers
450ml Hot Water
2 x 2 tablespoons Sugar
Lemon Juice *2 to 3 teaspoons OR as required
2 teaspoons Gelatine Powder
2 tablespoons Water
4 tablespoons Sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons Condensed Milk *optional
- Sprinkle Gelatine Powder into Water in two small bowls and soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Place Dried Butterfly Pea Flowers and Hot Water in a measuring jug, and make blue coloured tea. When the tea turns blue colour, as light OR dark as you want, remove the Butterfly Pea Flowers.
- Place 200ml Tea and 2 tablespoons Sugar in a small saucepan, bring to the boil, then remove from heat. Add the soaked Gelatine and stir until Gelatine dissolves completely. Pour the mixture into a container OR cup, and set aside to cool.
- Place remaining 200ml Tea and 2 tablespoons Sugar in a small saucepan, add Lemon Juice and stir. The amount of Lemon Juice depends on the purple colour that you want to make. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat. Add the soaked Gelatine and stir until Gelatine dissolves completely. Pour the mixture in a different container OR cup, and set aside to cool.
- When the two jellies are cool enough, leave them in the fridge until firmly set. *Note: Gelatine Powder might contains Sulphite (Sulfite), a food additive, that is slightly acidic. It might change the blue colour slightly purple.
- I served Butterfly Pea Tea Jelly with Milk Jelly. To make Milk Jelly, soak Gelatine Powder in Water. Heat other ingredients in a saucepan, bring close to the boil, and remove from heat. Add the soaked Gelatine and stir. Pour the Milk Jelly in serving glasses, and cool in the fridge until set.
- When all jellies are set, use a small spoon to arrange the two Dried Butterfly Pea Tea jellies on the Milk Jelly.
- Soft Drink with Butterfly Pea Tea Jelly: It is a good idea to enjoy Butterfly Pea Tea Jelly in your favourite Soft Drink. The photo below is lemon-flavoured soft drink with Butterfly Pea Tea Jelly.