I used to go to an Asian grocery store to buy can of Lychees, but not any more. Here in Melbourne where I live, many supermarket stores including Coles and Woolworths are now selling them. Today I made this cold dessert, based on ‘Lorna’s Dark Plum Mousse’. Lorna is my husband’s grandfather Theo’s sister. Lorna left some great recipes for the next generation. You can find some of them on this website. This Lychee Mousse was absolutely delicious on a hot day like today.
1 can (560g) Lychees in Syrup
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 & 1/2 teaspoons Gelatine Powder
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
2 teaspoons Syrup from the can of Lychees
150ml Thickened Cream
1 Egg White
- Drain the Lychees and save some syrup. Use a blender or food processor to process Lychees into smooth puree. *Note: Today I had 240ml puree from 1 can.
- Combine Lemon Juice and Syrup from the can of Lychees in a small bowl, add Gelatine Powder, and dissolve Gelatine over hot water. You may wish to microwave it.
- Add the Gelatine mixture to the pureed Lychees and mix well until well blended. Leave it in the fridge while you are preparing Cream and Egg White.
- Whip Cream and Egg White separately. Add whipped Cream to the Lychee mixture which should be starting to thicken, and mix well, then fold in Egg White.
- Pour the mixture into 4 serving glasses and leave them in the fridge until set. *Note: Today I decorated with some Lychees that were leftovers and I saved them in freezer a few weeks ago.