Lorna is my husband’s grandfather Theo’s sister. Lorna left some great recipes for the next generation. This is one of them, and I have been wanting to try it. Today I finally made it, but again I had to halve the recipe because her recipe was for her large family. I added some Sugar because the canned Plums that I used were not very sweet. Dissolving Gelatine Powder into Lemon Juice was something I was sceptical about. I ended up adding a little Syrup from the can of Plums to Lemon Juice because more liquid was needed. I enjoyed this mousse thinking of Lorna who is remembered as a great cook by many family members.
3 to 4 Servings
1 can (425g) Dark Plums in Syrup
1 to 2 tablespoons Caster Sugar *optional, I added 2 tablespoons
1 & 1/2 teaspoons Gelatine Powder
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
2 teaspoons Syrup (from the can of Plums) OR Water
150ml Thickened Cream
1/2 tablespoon Kirsch, Brandy, etc.
1 Egg White
Lorna’s Original Recipe
825g can Dark Plums in Syrup
3 teaspoons Gelatine Powder
20ml (1 Australian tablespoon) Lemon Juice
300ml Thickened Cream
1 tablespoon Brandy
2 Egg Whites
- Drain the Plums and save some syrup. Remove stones and discard them. Use a blender or food processor to process Plums into smooth puree.
- Combine Lemon Juice and Syrup from the can of Plums (OR Water) in a small bowl, add Gelatine Powder, and dissolve Gelatine over hot water. You may wish to microwave it.
- Add the Gelatine mixture to the pureed Plums and mix well until well blended.
- Whip Cream and Egg White separately. Add whipped Cream and Kirsch (OR Brandy) to the Plum mixture and mix well, then fold in Egg White.
- Pour the mixture into 4 serving glasses and leave them in the fridge until set.
Leave a Reply