I don’t made Gnocchi very often, but homemade Gnocchi are delicious. Potato Gnocchi are most popular, but Sweet Potato, Pumpkin and other vegetables are often used. Have you ever tried Chickpeas? Using a can of Chickpeas, these Gnocchi are easy to make. The hardest part is blending the Chickpeas into paste. If you have a stick blender, it would be very easy.
2 to 3 Servings
*Note: You can freeze the leftovers.
1 can (400g) Chickpeas *I had 180g after drained
1 pinch Salt *if Chickpeas are not salted
1/2 cup Plain Flour *plus extra
2 tablespoons Potato Starch OR Corn Starch
- Place drained Chickpeas and Egg in a bowl, and use a stick blender to make into paste. *Note: You may prefer using a food processor if you have one.
- Add Plain Flour and Potato Starch (OR Corn Starch), and use a fork to mix and form a soft dough adding extra Flour as required. Today I added extra 1 tablespoon. *Note: Do not make the dough very firm.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and divide the dough into some portions. Roll each portion into a log about 2cm in diameter, and cut into 1.5cm pieces.
- *Note: To shape the Gnocchi, today I rolled each piece into a ball, then gently pressed it down on a fork as rolled it. You can just roll over each ball using a fork.
- Cook Gnocchi in a saucepan of boiling salted water, but DO NOT overcrowd as they can stick together. Cook until they rise to the surface. Enjoy with your favourite sauce.