There are so many ‘Chocolate Mousse’ recipes out there, but this is my recipe. I am writing it down for my children, so that they can recreate their mother’s ‘Chocolate Mousse’ one day. You need 4 bowls including a heat-proof bowl.
4 to 6 Servings
Bowl 1 (Heat-proof)
200 to 220g Dark Chocolate
3 Egg Whites
300ml Thickened Cream *Save some whipped cream for topping
3 Egg Yolks
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar *DO NOT add yet!
1 to 2 tablespoons Rum OR Brandy
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Bowl 1: Place chopped Dark Chocolate OR Dark Chocolate Buttons in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and melt chocolate. *Alternatively you can melt the chocolate in the microwave on medium power for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, or until smooth.
- Bowl 2 Using the electric beaters, beat Egg Whites until stiff peaks form.
- Bowl 3 Using the same electric beaters, whip Cream. Do not worry some Egg White gets in the cream as you will mix everything together later.
- Bowl 4: Add Caster Sugar to the Egg Yolks, and beat using the same electric beaters until pale and thick. Add slightly cooled Dark Chocolate and mix well. Add Rum (OR Brandy) and Vanilla Extract, and mix well.
- To the Egg Yolk mixture in Bowl 4, add the whipped Cream and mix gently to combine well. Then add the Egg Whites and gently fold into the mixture.
- Spoon into 4 to 6 serving glasses and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour. Top with saved whipped cream and serve.