My ‘Basic Sweet Bread Dough’ is very versatile. Today I added Ground Cinnamon and Sultanas to make this delicious bread. You might wish to use Raisins rather than Sultanas. You may wish to add Orange Peel as well.
Standard Loaf Tin
1/2 cup Warm Milk
2 teaspoons Dry Yeast
1 & 3/4 cups Bread Flour *plus extra for kneading
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Egg *lightly whisked
20g Butter *melted
1/2 to 1 cup Sultanas OR Raisins *Today I added 1 cup
- Place Warm Milk and Dry Yeast in a bowl, mix gently and set aside.
- Combine Bread Flour, Sugar, Salt and Cinnamon in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the Yeast mixture, Egg and Butter. Mix well to form a soft dough. Add Sultanas (OR Raisins) and gently knead for 2 to 3 minutes, gradually adding extra Flour as required, until well combined.
- Cover with a plate or plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Grease a loaf tin with Butter.
- Divide the dough into 3 even portions. Form each portion into a ball, place in the prepared loaf tin, and set aside in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. When the top gets too dark, cover with a sheet of foil.
- Remove from loaf tin to wire rack to cool.