When I make coffee flavoured cookies and cakes, I usually add Instant Coffee Granules, but today I added ground Coffee Beans to these cupcakes. You know Coffee Beans are edible. For extra coffee flavour, I spread Coffee Butter Cream on top. The smell was amazing!
125g Butter *softened
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
2 tablespoons Condensed Milk *optional
1 pinch Salt
2 Eggs *at room temperature
2 tablespoons ground Coffee Beans
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Boiling Water
1/2 cup Milk
1 & 1/2 cups Self-Raising Flour
Coffee Butter Cream
60g Unsalted Butter *softened
1 cup (about 150g) Icing Sugar
1 pinch Salt
2 teaspoon Instant Coffee Granules *mixed with 2 teaspoon Hot Water
2 teaspoons Rum *OR Bourbon, Brandy, etc.
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Milk *only if required
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 12-hole medium-size muffin tin with paper cases.
- Mix finely ground Coffee Beans and Boiling Water in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Beat softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add Coffee mixture, Milk and Self-Raising Flour, and mix with a spatula or large metal spoon until just combined. DO NOT over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Leave in tins for 5 minutes before moving onto wire rack to cool.
- To make Coffee Butter Cream, place softened Unsalted Butter in a mixing bow, add all other ingredients except Milk, and mix well. If the cream is too thick, add a small amount of Milk, and mix well until smooth.
- Spread the Coffee Butter Cream on the cooled cupcakes. You may prefer piping out the cream using a piping bag.