If you have some leftover Condensed Milk and you need to use it up, you can add it to cake batter. Today I added it to Pound Cake batter. As I also added Lemon Juice, I needed to add more Flour. The cake turned out a lot larger than normal. You may wish to add Lemon Icing.
Standard Loaf Tin
1/3 cup Caster Sugar *OR 1/2 cup for sweeter cake
3 Eggs *must be at room temperature
1/2 cup Condensed Milk
Zest of 1 Lemon *finely grated
Juice of 1 Lemon *3 to 4 tablespoons
1 & 1/3 cups Self-Raising Flour *plus extra
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper. *Note: This cake will rise quite high.
- Beat the softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the Eggs are not warm enough, the mixture will curdle. If that happens, try to stand the bowl in warm water, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, then continue beating until the batter becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add Condensed Milk and Lemon Zest, and mix to combine. Add Lemon Juice and Self-Raising Flour, and mix with a spatula or large metal spoon until just combined. DO NOT over-mix. *Note: If too soft, add extra 1-2 tablespoons Flour.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. *Note: Spread the middle part thinner and the edges thicker, so that you will have a nice centre crack.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
- *Note: You may wish to add Lemon Icing. Lemon Icing can be made by mixing 1/2 cup Icing Sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons Lemon Juice.