‘Dorayaki’ is a sweet pancake sandwich with Sweet Azuki Paste as a filling, and it is extremely popular in Japan. There are many variations these days. I often add Whipped Cream, OR Peanut Butter. You can use Chestnut Paste OR Sweet Potato Paste instead of Azuki Paste. Today I used Custard. I don’t have to say it was delicious.
6 to 8 Dorayaki
1 cup Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Water
1 cup Milk
2 to 3 Egg Yolks
3 to 4 tablespoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- To make Custard, place all ingredients in a heat-proof bowl and whisk well to combine well. Cook in the microwave in medium power about 500W for 2 minutes. Mix well, then cook again in medium power for 2 minutes and mix well, and cook again for 1 minute OR until cooked through. Then mix well.
- You may prefer cooking Custard in a saucepan. Place Egg Yolks and Sugar in a saucepan and combine well. Add Flour and mix well. Add warmed Milk and mix well. Then cook over medium to low heat, stirring constantly until custard comes to the boil and thickens.
- Cover with a sheet of plastic food wrap directly touching the Custard, and allow to cool.
- Place Self-Raising Flour, Eggs, Sugar and Water in a mixing bowl, and use a whisk to mix until smooth.
- Make thin 10cm pancakes with least possible Oil. Non stick pan is recommended as you need no Oil.
- *Note: ‘Dorayaki’ pancake batter is made with a lot of Sugar. Because of the amount of Sugar, it would be easy to burn quickly. Please cook on low heat and try to make one side brown. The other side doesn’t require to be browned.
- Sandwich the cooled Custard with two pancakes.