Every cook should be able to make ‘Custard’, that is so simple, yummy and versatile. ‘Custard’ is the mixtures of Milk and Eggs thickened by heat. When it is used for desserts, Sugar is added. For thickening it, Flour or Starch is often added, but you do not need such thing as custard powder. This ‘Basic Custard’ recipe is so easy and I usually cook it in the microwave as it is the easiest, but of course you can cook it using a saucepan.
Milk 1 cup
Egg Yolks 2 to 3
Sugar 3 to 4 tablespoons
Flour 2 tablespoons *Use 1 tablespoon for softer custard
Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon *OR flavour of your choice
- Place all ingredients in a heat-proof bowl and whisk well to combine well.
- Cook in the microwave in medium power about 500W for 2 minutes. Mix well, then cook again in medium power for 2 minutes and mix well, and cook again for 1 minute and mix well.
- Place Egg Yolks and Sugar in a saucepan and combine well. Add Flour and mix well.
- Add warmed Milk and mix well.
- Cook over a medium to low heat, stirring constantly until custard comes to the boil and thickens.