Australian Christmas is in summer and the weather can be very hot. One of the most popular Christmas food is Prawns, and every store sells them. After Christmas, we often have a chance to buy Christmas Prawns at a discount price. I bought some on Boxing Day. Today I used them to make this rice bowl dish for lunch. You can use cooked Prawns.
3 to 4 Eggs *whisked
Salt & Pepper
160 to 180g shelled Prawns *thawed if frozen, cooked Prawns can be used
1 tablespoon Oil *e.g. Olive Oil, Sesame Oil, etc.
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
Chilli Flakes *OR Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce)
2 servings warm Cooked Rice
Spring Onion OR Parsley *finely chopped
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) *optional
1 cup Chicken Stock *OR 1 cup Water and 1 teaspoon Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
Salt & Pepper
*Note: Soy Sauce OR Oyster Sauce can be used to season the Stock.
1 tablespoon Potato Starch OR Corn Starch
- Place Chicken Stock in a measuring jug OR bowl, season with Salt & Pepper (OR Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, etc.), and add Potato Starch (OR Corn Starch) and mix well.
- Whisk Eggs in a separate bowl and season with Salt & Pepper. Prepare all other ingredients before you start cooking.
- Heat Oil, Garlic and Chilli in a frying pan, non-stick preferred, over medium heat. When aromatic, add Prawns, and cook both sides, then add the Sauce. *Note: Stir the Sauce well before you add it.
- When the sauce is thickened, pour the whisked Egg over, and leave it until softly cooked. Do not stir too much.
- Half fill a bowl with warm Cooked Rice and cover it with the Prawn and Egg mixture. Sprinkle with some Spring Onion OR Parsley. *Note: I sprinkled with Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) for extra spiciness.
Leave a Reply