My mother used to chargrill Eggplants for this dish. She chargrilled them until skin was blistered and blackened, then peeled the skins. We enjoyed the melting tender Eggplants with ‘Ponzu’ sauce. But, for me, chargrill is difficult to do. I like oven-baking or oven-grilling, and it is the easiest and ideal method in my house. However, when you do BBQ, try chargrill. The flavour is totally different.
Eggplants 2 Medium
Sesame Oil OR Canola Oil 1 to 2 tablespoons
Salt a pinch
Toasted Sesame Seeds 1 tablespoon *lightly ground
Spring Onion 1 to 2 *finely chopped
Garlic 1 clove *grated
Ginger 1 small piece *grated
Soy Sauce 2 tablespoons
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Rice Vinegar 1/2 to 1 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 200C OR Griller. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut off the green bit of Eggplants and remove skin if you like. Cut in quarter lengthways, then cut in half. Place them in a large bowl, drizzle Sesame Oil over and add a pinch of Salt. Toss them to coat.
- Place the Eggplant pieces on the prepared baking tray, and bake or grill for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- Make sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients.
- Arrange the cooked Eggplant pieces on a serving plate, pour the sauce over and serve hot or cold.