I used to cook this dish very often when my children were young. I was always very busy and this was one of the life-saving dishes. Minced Meat can be cooked very quickly, and also it is inexpensive. Any vegetables can be used. I used different sauces to season it, but I used Teriyaki Sauce most often because it was the easiest to make. You only need Sugar, Mirin and Soy Sauce, and you can add extra ingredients such as Garlic and Chilli for flavours.
500g Minced Meat *Beef, Pork, Chicken, etc.
500g Vegetables of your choice
*Note: Today I used Onion, Eggplant and Sugar Snap Peas. Other Suggestions include Carrot, Capsicum, Snow Peas, Cabbage, Spring Onions, Broccoli, etc.
1 tablespoon Oil *plus extra
1/2 tablespoon Potato Starch OR Corn Starch *mixed with 1/2 tablespoon Water
2 tablespoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Mirin
4 to 5 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine) OR Water
1 teaspoon grated Garlic OR Ginger *OR both of them
1 teaspoon Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) OR some Chilli Flakes
- Combine all the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cut all Vegetables into the size that is easy to eat. Pre-cook some Vegetables if required.
- If you use Eggplant, cook it first. Heat 1 tablespoon Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook until both sides are nicely browned, then transfer to a plate. You don’t need to cook it until very soft.
- Add extra Oil in the pan, cook Minced Meat and Vegetables. When Vegetables are cooked, Minced Meat should be cooked by then. Return Eggplant, add the Sauce, and stir to combine.
- Drizzle the Potato Starch mixture over and stir. It is to thicken the sauce. Serve immediately with freshly cooked Rice.
Leave a Reply