Pork and Eggplant is a great combination. I often season with Miso, Sugar and Mirin, which is a brilliant flavour for Pork & Eggplant. Today I used Soy Sauce, Sugar and Mirin, which is another popular combinations of seasonings. The dish was delicious and Eggplant was meltingly soft. You got to serve this dish with freshly cooked Rice.
*Note: About photo is double the recipe for 4 servings
120g Thinly Sliced Pork Belly *cut into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon Oil *plus extra
1 pinch Salt
1 medium Eggplant *about 200g
1/2 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Mirin
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 teaspoon grated Ginger
Chilli Flakes OR Ground Chilli *optional
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cut off the green bit of Eggplant and cut in half or quarters lengthways, then cut diagonally into chunky pieces.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook Pork. *Note: If the Pork contains a lot of fat, cook over a lower heat slowly, so that more oil will come out.
- When Pork is slightly browned, season with 1 pinch Salt, and transfer to a plate.
- There must be enough Oil in the frying pan. If not, add some Oil, add Eggplant pieces and toss to coat them with Oil. Then cook over medium heat until soft and nicely browned.
- *Note: If you double the recipe, cook Eggplant pieces in two batches. After you cooked the first half, add extra Oil and cook the last half. When the last half is cooked, return the first half to the pan and combine.
- Return the Pork, stir to combine, then add the Sauce. Gently stir for a few minutes or until the sauce is almost gone.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion and serve with freshly cooked Rice.
Leave a Reply