I tend to season Chicken with Soy Sauce. The other day, I wanted to try a totally new flavour. Since my husband travelled to Barbados, a Caribbean island, I have been interested in Caribbean cuisine. Then I discovered a Chicken dish called ‘Jamaican Jerk Chicken’. I read about it and created my own recipe that I can cook with easily available ingredients. I don’t have BBQ, so I baked them in the oven. The smell of the Baked Chicken was something I had never smelled before. It’s a mix of Chicken, Lime, Vinegar, Garlic and Spices. Are you interested? Why don’t you try it?
1.5kg Chicken cut into pieces *I used Drumsticks today
*Note: If you use boneless fillets, this recipe would serve 6
3 to 4 Spring Onions *OR 1 Onion, chopped
3 to 4 cloves Garlic *chopped
1 thumb-size piece Ginger *chopped
1 to 2 Hot Chillies *I used Jalapeño, you may wish to use hotter Chilli, chopped
1/4 cup Oil
1/4 cup Vinegar *I used Apple Cider Vinegar
Juice of 1 Lime
3 tablespoons Brown Sugar *alter the amount to suit your tatse
2 teaspoons Salt
1 tablespoonful fresh Thyme Leaves *OR 1 teaspoon if dried
1 teaspoon Ground All Spice
1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon *Five Spice can be used
*Note: You can alter the amount of Spices
- Blend all the Marinade ingredients until smooth. I used stick blender.
- Marinate Chicken pieces in the Marinade, keep in the fridge overnight OR 5-6 hours at least. Leave them at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before you bake them.
- Preheat oven to 180℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper. *Note: If you use boneless fillets, oven can be hotter.
- Drain Chicken pieces well, place on the prepared tray, brush some Marinade on top, and bake for 50 minutes OR until nicely browned. *Note: Baking time is shorter if oven is hotter.
- Place remaining Marinade into a small saucepan, bring to the boil, and cook until it thickens. This will be the sauce.
- Serve the Baked Chicken with the Sauce. I added some Lime wedges. I recommend to enjoy this Baked Chicken with Rice and refreshing Salad.