When you make ‘Chawanmushi’, savoury custard soup, ingredients are placed in the individual serving cups. This is an easy version for the everyday meal. The jumbo version looks great, but steaming the large serving bowl is a tricky job.
When I need to steam a large bowl, I use a large pot. I simply place a large metal ring (looks like the egg ring) or a small plate in the pot, and place the bowl on top of the ring or the small plate, then steam it. The most important thing to remember is you must be able to take out the hot bowl from the pot.
Dashi Stock / Chicken Stock 400 to 450ml
*Note: The ratio of Egg to Stock is 1 : 2 (firm) or 1 : 2.5 (soft)
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Soy Sauce 1 teaspoon
Spring Onion 1 *finely chopped
Chicken Fillet 100 to 150g *cut into small pieces
Shimeji (or other Asian mushrooms) 100g
Dashi Stock / Chicken Stock 1 cup
Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Soy Sauce 1/2 teaspoon
Mirin 1 tablespoon
Grated Ginger 1 teaspoon
Potato Starch Flour 1 tablespoon *mixed with 1 tablespoon Water
- Good quality real stock is perfect. If you make instant stock, place 400 to 450ml hot water in a saucepan or bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon Dashi or Bouillon Powder, then lightly season it with Salt and Soy Sauce as required, the amount of Salt and Soy Sauce depends on the saltiness of the stock. Cool slightly.
- Place Eggs in a large bowl, whisk lightly. Then add the warm (not hot) stock gradually, whisking constantly, and mix very well.
- Pour the egg mixture into a large bowl, OR 4 small bowls, cups, ramekins or whatever you use if individually served.
- Cook in hot steamer or you can cook using a pot. Alternatively microwave at a lower setting around 500W until the mixture is set.
- Pot Method: Fill a pot with 2cm of water, place a large metal ring like egg ring or a plate (or something else to support the bowl) on the bottom, then heat. When the water starts steaming, carefully place the bowl on the plate, pour the egg mixture in the bowl, cover the pot and cook until the mixture is set. It will take around 10 minutes. Taking the bowl out safely might be tricky and you need to be very careful.
- To make sauce, heat Stock and Ginger in a saucepan, season with Salt, Soy Sauce and Mirin. When it is boiling, add Chicken and Shimeji. Mix Potato Starch and Water in a small bowl and gradually add, stirring, to thicken the sauce. You might not need to use all the potato starch mixture.
- Cover the steamed savoury custard with the sauce, sprinkle plenty of chopped Spring Onion over and serve hot.