Chicken Gizzards (Giblets) are very cheap, but not many people cook them. You can find recipes on the internet, and many of them require to remove silver coloured parts from Gizzards because they are very tough. I don’t want to do that with my aching hands. I pre-boil them, so that all parts can be eaten.
2 to 3 Servings
600g Chicken Gizzards (Giblets)
Salt for boiling
1/4 cup Sake (Rice Wine) *optional
1 Egg *whisked
2-3 tablespoons Plain Flour
2-3 tablespoons Potato Starch
Oil for frying
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) OR Ground Chilli
1 clove Garlic *grated
1 small piece Ginger *grated
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
- Cook Chicken Gizzards (Giblets) in salted water in a large saucepan for 30 minutes OR until desired texture is achieved. *Note: Add Sake (Rice Wine) to the salted water, so that the unpleasant smell would be reduced and Gizzards would taste better.
- Combine all the Marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Drain Chicken Gizzards, add to the Marinade, mix to combine well, then marinate for 30 minutes.
- Remove excess marinade, add Egg, and mix well. Then add Plain Flour and Potato Starch, and mix to combine.
- Heat the Oil to 180ºC and deep fry the Chicken Gizzards until nicely browned. Sprinkle with some Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) OR Ground Chilli, extra Salt if required, and enjoy.