When you buy a bunch of celery, what do you use the leaves and thin stalks for? I have once introduced ‘Celery Leaves Tsukudani’ on this website. Here is another yummy ‘Tsukudani’ for you to try. Because I love this dish so much, I always buy celery by a large bunch with lots of leaves attached.
Celery Leaves & Thin Stalks 400g
*Note: You will get about 400g of them from one large bunch of celery.
Dry Shredded Kombu (Kelp) 20g
Dry Chilli Flakes 1/2 teaspoon
Sesame Oil 1/2 tablespoon
Salt 1 pinch
Sugar 1/2 to 1 tablespoon
Soy Sauce 2 tablespoons
Mirin 1 tablespoon
‘Okaka/Katsuobushi’ Bonito Flakes 1 to 2 sachets, 2.5 to 5g
Toasted Sesame Seeds 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Soak Dry Shredded Kombu (Kelp) in cold water for 10 minutes, drain, rinse and drain again.
- Wash Celery Leaves and Thin Stalks and finely chop up.
- Heat Sesame Oil in a frying pan over medium to high heat and cook Celery Leaves & Thin Stalks, Kombu and Chilli Flakes. When Celery is cooked, add the 1 pinch of Salt, Sugar, Soy Sauce and Mirin and keep cooking, mixing well, until the sauce is almost gone.
- Add Katsuobushi (Bonito Flakes) and Toasted Sesame Seeds, cook further 1 to 2 minutes to dry, stirring well.
- This is a perfect topping for freshly cooked rice.
Leave a Reply