The product of thinly sliced Kombu (Kelp) that looks like coated with Salt is often called ‘Shio Kombu’ (塩昆布) in Japanese. As it is strongly seasoned, you can use it as a seasoning. Today I mixed it with salted Wombok. I enjoyed this dish with freshly cooked Rice.
1/4 Wombok *Today it weighed 450g
1/2 teaspoon Salt *reduce the amount if Wombok is smaller OR to suit your taste
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1/4 teaspoon Chilli Flakes *OR as required
1 can (95g) Tuna *I used Tuna in Springwater, drained
15 to 20g Seasoned Kombu (Kelp)
- Clean Wombok, cut into 1 to 2cm wide pieces, and separate hard white parts and soft parts.
- Place the hard white parts into a mixing bowl, add Salt, toss to mix well, and set aside for 10 minutes OR microwave for 1 minutes (I used 1100W microwave) to speed up.
- Add soft part, mix to combine, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze to remove excess salty water, then add Sesame Oil, Chilli Flakes, drained Tuna and Seasoned Kombu, and mix to combine. You can serve straight away, but I recommend to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- *Note: Toasted Sesame Seeds and finely chopped Spring Onion can be added.