When I prepare a Japanese style dinner, I always serve a dish of pickled vegetable OR something refreshing and salty. This dish is a Chinese inspired pickled salad. I added a generous amount of Sesame Oil to it. Simple and delicious!
1/4 Wombok *about 450g
1/2 teaspoon Salt *reduce the amount if Wombok is smaller
3-4cm Carrot *diagonally sliced into thin strips
1 small piece Ginger *sliced into fine strips
2 tablespoons Sugar
3 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1/2 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 small Dried Chilli *thinly sliced, OR some Chilli Flakes
*Note: Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) can be used instead of Dried Chilli. See the photo below.
1/4 teaspoon Salt *plus extra
- Clean Wombok, cut into 1-2cm wide pieces, and separate hard white parts and soft parts.
- Place the hard white parts into a mixing bowl, add Salt, and toss to mix well. Set aside for 10 minutes OR microwave for 1 minutes (I used 1100W microwave) to speed up.
- Add soft part, mix to combine, and set aside while you are preparing other Vegetables and Marinade.
- Cut Carrot diagonally into thin strips. Ginger needs to be sliced into fine strips.
- In a separate heat-proof mixing bowl, combine all the Marinade ingredients. You may wish to add extra Chilli. Heat the Marinade in the microwave until hot, add Carrot and Ginger, and mix well. *Note: The Marinade can be heated in a saucepan.
- A lot of water should have come out from Wombok. Drain, and squeeze to remove salty water, then add the Wombok to the Marinade. Mix to combine. Taste it, and add extra Salt if required.
- You can serve straight away, but I recommend to rest in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes.
- *Note: The photo below is the same Wombok Salad, but made with Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce). I added some Soy Sauce, Spring Onion and Toasted Sesame Seeds.