Here is another variation of my ‘Basic Butter Cake’. Today I added Lemon. Lemon flavoured Butter Cake tastes better with Lemon Icing. Lemon Icing can be made with Icing Sugar and Lemon Juice, but you can add a small amount of melted Butter. Be aware that this cake is pretty high in calories.
22cm Square Cake Tin *OR other Cake Tin in similar size in any shape
Lemon Butter Cake
125g Butter *cut into small pieces and softened
3/4 cup Caster Sugar
1/8 teaspoon Salt
2 large Eggs *room temperature
Zest of 1 Lemon *finely grated
1/2 cup Buttermilk *room temperature OR slightly warmed
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice *1 tablespoon is 15ml
1 & 1/2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1 cup Icing Sugar *about 120g
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Lemon Juice *plus extra
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line the base and sides of a cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Sugar and Salt, and beat until creamy. Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add Lemon Zest and mix to combine.
- Add Buttermilk, Lemon Juice and Self-Raising Flour, and mix well. Spoon the batter into the tin, spread evenly, and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- When the cake is completely cooled, make Lemon Icing. To make Lemon Icing, mix Icing Sugar and Lemon Juice in a small bowl. Add extra Lemon Juice as required, but add a very small amount at a time.
- *Note: You can add Butter to the Icing. Add 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice and 1 tablespoon melted Butter to Icing Sugar.
- Pour the Lemon Icing over the completely cooled cake, and spread to coat the cake. You can coat all over if you have enough Icing. Today I coated top side only.