Meatloaf is easy to make. You don’t need a loaf tin. Just form the mixture into a log and bake it in the oven. Many people serve it with Mashed Potato. This is the same food but in a different presentation. It can be a great family activity in the festive season. Decorate this delicious log in your favourite way.
4 to 5 Servings
500g Minced Lean Meat *Beef, Pork, Lamb OR Chicken
1 Onion *finely chopped
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 cup coarsely grated OR chopped Vegetables *firmly packed
*Note: Today I used Carrot, Broccoli and Cauliflower. Other suggestions include Blanched Cabbage, Peas, Asparagus, Green Beans, Capsicum, Mushrooms, Cooked Rice, etc.
1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper as required
Herbs of your choice *Today I added 1/4 cup finely chopped Parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmesan *optional
3 to 4 Potatoes *about 600g, peeled and cut to small pieces
1 tablespoon (15g) Butter
100ml Milk *alter the amount depending on the dryness of Potatoes
Salt & White Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180℃. Oil a baking tray OR line with baking paper.
- All vegetables need to be coarsely grated OR finely chopped. Place the vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well until evenly combined. Form the mixture into a log, packing firmly. Place the log on the prepared tray and shape it nicely.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes OR until cooked through.
- While the Meatloaf is baking in the oven, cook Mashed Potato. Place Potato pieces in a large saucepan and cover with COLD water. Add some Salt and cook until soft. Try over-cook them slightly whenever you cook mashes.
- Drain and return to the pot. Add Butter and mash, season with Salt & White Pepper as required, then add Milk and keep mashing until smooth.
- Place the baked Meatloaf on a serving plate, cover with the Mashed Potato. Decorate it as you like. Enjoy with your favourite sauce. *Note: I placed sautéed Mushrooms around the log in the above photo.
Leave a Reply