You DO NOT need to turn on your oven to cook these sweet & meltingly soft Baby Onions. I cooked them in the pan-steam-frying method that I often use to cook Broccoli. It is the easiest and energy saving way to cook these Onions. Cut Baby Onions in half, so that they can be cooked even more quickly.
4 to 6 Servings
Baby Onions *enough to pack a frying pan
1 tablespoon Olive Oil *OR Oil of your choice
1/2 cup Water
1/4 teaspoon Salt
*Note: You may wish to add Garlic, Chilli, etc.
Seasoning of your choice
- Trim the ends, peel skin and cut Baby Onions in half.
- Drizzle Olive Oil over a frying pan, arrange Baby Onions with cut side down, add Water, and sprinkle with Salt. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil, then cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes or until the water is gone.
- When the water in the pan is evaporated, remove the lid, and keep cooking until the bottom side is nicely browned. *Note: You may wish to carefully turn them over and brown the other side. If Baby Onions are not yet soft enough, add extra water, cover with the lid, and cook for extra minutes.
- Season with Salt & Pepper OR spices and sauces of your choice. Balsamic Vinegar goes well with these sweet and meltingly soft Bay Onions. Today I seasoned with Salt & Pepper, which I like the most.
- If you have any leftovers, cook them in Chicken Stock OR Stock of your choice, add some Thyme, and season with Salt and Pepper. You can make this delicious Onion Soup instantly. I added cheesy toasted Bread.
Leave a Reply