A few days ago, I wanted to make Chocolate Caramel Slice. To make Chocolate Caramel Slice, you need to bake the base pastry, then pour the Caramel Filling over the base, and bake it again. It’s summer now and I didn’t want to use oven when it is hot. So, I decided to use biscuit base that we often use for Cheesecake, and I cooked Caramel filling in a saucepan pan. This ‘No-Bake Chocolate Caramel Slice’ is not bad at all.
20cm Square Cake Tin
150g Sweet Biscuits *I used Marie Biscuits
*Note: You can replace a part with Desiccated Coconut
*Note: Very dry low-fat biscuits might need more moisture. Add extra melted Butter if required.
1 can (395g) Condensed Milk
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar *firmly packed, 1 tablespoon is 15ml
60g Butter *cut into small cubes
1 pinch Salt
*Note: You can increase the amount of Brown Sugar and Butter if you need more filling for a larger tin. e.g. 4 tablespoons Brown Sugar and 120g Butter.
180 to 200g Dark Chocolate *chopped block OR buttons
1 tablespoon Oil *I used Sunflower Oil, this is to soften Dark Chocolate
- Line the base and sides of 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Crush OR process Sweet Biscuits into fine crumbs. I used a tough plastic bag and a rolling pin. Combine crumbled Biscuits and melted Butter until moist crumbs. If too dry, add extra melted Butter.
- *Note: This amount is right for 20cm square tin. Increase the amount for a larger tin.
- Place the crumbs into the prepared tin and press FIRMLY over the base.
- To make Caramel filling, combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring with a heat-resist spatula, for 15 minutes OR until slightly browned. Pour it over the base, spread evenly, and cool completely.
- Place Dark Chocolate and Oil in a heat-proof bowl, heat in the microwave for 1 minute, stir, heat for 30 seconds, and stir. Heat extra time if required until completely melted and smooth. *Note: You can do this process over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Pour the smooth Chocolate over Caramel. Place in the fridge and leave it until firmly set. Cut into squares to serve.