This dish is almost identical to my ‘Chicken & Chorizo Baked Rice’. As I have discovered that the easiest and the best method to cook this type of rice dish similar to ‘Paella’ at home without a good source of heat is ‘baking in the oven after cooking over the cooktop’.
The Jambalaya I have tasted in America many years ago was cooked without Tomatoes, that’s why I don’t add Tomatoes. But you can add Tomato Paste.
500g Chicken Thigh Fillets
Salt & Pepper
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Onion *finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic *finely chopped
1 stalk Celery *thinly sliced
1-2 Smoked Pork Sausages *about 150g, sliced
*Note: If you use Chorizo, reduce the amount of Cayenne Pepper
1 Red Capsicum *cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon Cajan Spice Mix
Cayenne Pepper OR Tabasco as required
600ml Chicken Stock
2 cups (*180ml cup) Short Grain OR Medium Grain Rice
1 tablespoon Parsley *finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Wash rice, drain, and set aside.
- Cut Chicken Thigh Fillets into bite-size pieces, lightly season with Salt & Pepper.
- Heat Olive Oil in an oven-safe shallow saucepan or a skillet over medium heat and cook Chicken until slightly brown, and transfer to a plate.
- Cook Onion, Garlic, Celery and Smoked Pork Sausages until onion is soft. Add Red Capsicum and stir, and add Cajan Spice Mix and Cayenne Pepper (OR Tabasco). *Note: Alter the amount of Cayenne Pepper accordingly.
- Add Chicken Stock, (if you want to add Tomato Paste, add it now), and bring to the boil. Stir in Rice evenly, return Chicken, then bring back to the boil. Season with Salt & Pepper as required.
- Cover with the lid or cover tightly with foil. Place in the oven, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped Parsley and serve.
Leave a Reply