It takes time to cook ‘Okonomiyaki’, especially when you make many. When I cook it for whole family, I bake one large Okonomiyaki in the oven. Today’s Okonomiyaki is about 40 x 30cm. Such a jumbo Okonomiyaki can’t be flipped over, but I don’t need to to do so as I bake it in the oven. Today I used Ham & Egg. Prawns & Egg is another nice combination.
2 cups Self-Raising Flour
2 cups Water
4 Eggs *2 Eggs are for topping
1 teaspoon Dashi Power *optional
*Note: Add as much as you like if you can combine with the batter
200g Ham *cut into small pieces
1/4 to 1/3 cup Edamame Beans OR Peas *optional
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Make a batter by mixing Flour, Water, 2 Eggs and Dashi Powder.
- Add shredded Cabbage, Ham and Edamame (OR Peas) to the batter, and mix well. You may add more vegetables and other ingredients to it.
- Line 1 large baking tray (OR 2 baking trays) with baking paper. Spread the mixture on the tray(s). Spread whisked 2 Eggs on top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until top is browned and the cabbage mixture is well cooked.
- Dress with Okonomiyaki Sauce and Japanese Mayonnaise, and enjoy. *Note: Sprinkle Katsuobushi (Bonito Flakes), Aonori OR Benishooga (Pickled Ginger) if you have. I didn’t haver any of them.