I never knew the dish called ‘Honey Soy Chicken’ until I came to Australia. Honey & Soy flavoured sauce marinated Chicken are available from any supermarkets and butchers in Melbourne. I have never bought them. Commonly they are baked in the oven. If you don’t have an oven, try this frying pan method. As Chicken Wing Nibbles (Flats & Drumettes) can be cooked quickly, frying pan is the easiest method.
1kg Chicken Wing Nibbles (Flats & Drumettes)
Salt & Pepper
Oil for cooking
Toasted Sesame Seeds *OR Ground Chilli, Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix), etc.
1 clove Garlic *grated
1 small piece Ginger *grated
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 to 4 tablespoons Honey
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine) OR Water
- Lightly season Chicken Wing Nibbles (Flats & Drumettes) with Salt & Pepper, and set aside.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. If Honey is not soft enough to mix with other ingredients, warm it in the microwave. *Note: Alter the amount of Honey to suit your taste.
- Heat a large frying pan, apply a small amount of Oil, and cook Chicken pieces over medium heat until nicely browned on both sides. If it is difficult to cook all at once, cook in batches.
- Remove the fat and oil in the pan using a paper towel. Pour the sauce over, cover with a lid, and cook until the sauce is almost gone. Occasionally turn the chicken pieces over, so that they will be cooked evenly.
- Sprinkle with some Toasted Sesame Seeds (OR Chilli) and serve.
To air fry crispy wings I place washed and dried wings in a large bowl with 4 table spoons of vegetable or canola oil along with whatever spices im using for the wings. then place in air fryer. You have to use some oil.
Thank you for posting this info, Matthew. My old oven has Fan Baking function which I don’t use often. I might try it when I cook Chicken Wings next time.
The flavors are insane! I mixed all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and poured it into a skillet where i was browning the sesamae seeds and reduced until thickened then i placed all the wings (after air frying for 30 mins) in a large bowl and poured sauce all over and shook bowl to evenly coat the wings. INCREDIBLE!
Sounds impressive, Matthew. More and more people are using air fryer. I am interested, but hesitate to add another appliance to my kitchen, but very interested. Thank you so much for posting this comment.