I never knew the dish called ‘Honey Soy Chicken’ until I came to Australia. Honey & Soy flavoured sauce marinated Chicken are available from any supermarkets and butchers in Melbourne. I have never bought them. Commonly they are baked in the oven. If you don’t have an oven, try this frying pan method. As Chicken Wing Nibbles (Flats & Drumettes) can be cooked quickly, frying pan is the easiest method.
1kg Chicken Wing Nibbles (Flats & Drumettes)
Salt & Pepper
Oil for cooking
Toasted Sesame Seeds *OR Ground Chilli, Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix), etc.
1 clove Garlic *grated
1 small piece Ginger *grated
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 to 4 tablespoons Honey
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine) OR Water
- Lightly season Chicken Wing Nibbles (Flats & Drumettes) with Salt & Pepper, and set aside.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. If Honey is not soft enough to mix with other ingredients, warm it in the microwave. *Note: Alter the amount of Honey to suit your taste.
- Heat a large frying pan, apply a small amount of Oil, and cook Chicken pieces over medium heat until nicely browned on both sides. If it is difficult to cook all at once, cook in batches.
- Remove the fat and oil in the pan using a paper towel. Pour the sauce over, cover with a lid, and cook until the sauce is almost gone. Occasionally turn the chicken pieces over, so that they will be cooked evenly.
- Sprinkle with some Toasted Sesame Seeds (OR Chilli) and serve.