This is a dish of Chicken cooked in a way similar to ‘Popcorn Prawns’ (Popcorn Shrimps). The reason why it is called ‘Popcorn’ is because it can be eaten like Popcorn and also it is crunchy like Popcorn. I recommend to use Tenderloins or Breast Fillet as they can be cooked quickly and less oily.
500g Chicken Tenderloin OR Breast Fillet
Salt *generous amout
4 tablespoons Plain Flour
1 large Egg *lightly whisked
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs *fine type preferred but ‘Panko’ is fine
Oil for frying
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
Additional Spices & Herbs
*e.g. Ground Ginger, Ground Paprika, Mustard Powder, Ground Coriander Seeds, Ground Cumin, Dried Oregano, Dried Thyme, Dried Basil, etc.
- Mix a variety of Spices and Dried Herbs to make 1 tablespoon Spice Mix.
- Heat Oil in a heavy-based saucepan to 180°C.
- Cut Chicken Tenderloin OR Breast Fillet into small bite-size pieces, season with Salt and Spice Mix.
- Coat with Plain Flour, dip into whisked Egg, then coat with Bread Crumbs. Fry for a few minutes or until golden and crispy. Take them out and lay them on a rack or paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Serve hot or warm while they are crunchy.