I do love the combination of Prawns, Egg and Iceberg Lettuce. I often use them for Fried Rice and Stir-fries. They are great for Soups as well. You may be surprised to hear cooking Iceberg Lettuce, but Iceberg Lettuce is actually good for cooking as it retains the crispiness after being cooked. This is another very simple Udon dish. Absolutely easy to cook, nutritious and very comforting.
1 serving Cooked Udon Noodles *Frozen type recommended
40g shelled Prawns *thawed if frozen
1-2 leaves Iceberg Lettuce *torn into large bite-size pieces
1 tablespoon Potato Starch *mixed with 1 tablespoon Water
1 Egg *lightly whisked
Spring Onion *thinly sliced
Crispy Chilli Oil *optional
1 cup Chicken Stock *OR 1 cup Water & 1 teaspoon Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine)
1/2 teaspoon grated Ginger
1/4 teaspoon Salt *alter the amount
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce *alter the amount
A few drops Sesame Oil
- Prepare all ingredients. Mix Potato Starch with Water in a small bowl.
- Heat Cooked Udon Noodles in boiling water, then drain.
- Combine all the soup ingredients in a saucepan. Alter the amount of Salt OR Soy Sauce depending on the saltiness of the stock. Bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Add Prawns and Lettuce. When Prawns are cooked, gradually add Potato Starch mixture, stirring well, then add lightly whisked Egg. When Egg is softly cooked, the soup is done. It won’t take long.
- Place the drained Udon in a bowl, cover with the mixture, add some Spring Onion and Crispy Chilli Oil if you have it, and enjoy.