‘Sukiyaki’ is one of the most famous Japanese dishes. ‘Sukiyaki’ is cooked on the dinner table as we eat. As things are eaten, we add more ingredients and sauce, and keep cooking until everyone is satisfied. Towards the end of the meal, as the sauce in the pan has developed great flavour, we often add Udon noodles to enjoy the sauce. This is a quick & easy version of the Udon in Sukiyaki sauce. The recipe is for single serving, that I often cook for my lunch.
100g thinly sliced Beef
1 teaspoon Oil
1/4 to 1/2 Onion *thinly sliced
1 handful Baby Spinach
1 Egg *‘Onsen Tamago’ OR Poached Egg
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1 serving Cooked Udon Noodles *Frozen Udon Noodles recommended
1 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
1 teaspoon Sugar
- Prepare Cooked Udon Noodles. Frozen Udon Noodles can be just warmed and loosened in hot water, then drained.
- Cook ‘Onsen Tamago’. You may wish to make a Poached Egg instead. Find how to cook ‘Onsen Tamago’ here.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan, cook thinly sliced Beef and Onion. When cooked, add the sauce and bring to the boil, add Baby Spinach and the drained Udon noodles and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Place ‘Onsen Tamago’ and finely chopped Spring Onion on top, and enjoy.