When my children were young, a box of Rice Bubbles was an essential item in our pantry. Young children love Rice Bubbles, don’t they? I sometimes packed their lunch boxes with Rice Bubble Bar for snack. I wish if I knew this North American recipe, so that I could make it with my children. You only need three main ingredients.
20cm Square Cake Tin
1 pinch Salt
150g Marshmallows *130g for crispy texture
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract *optional
3 cups (110g) Rice Bubbles *1 cup Rice Bubbles weighs 37g
- Line a 20cm square cake tin (OR a square or rectangle tin in a similar size) with baking paper.
- Cut Marshmallows into smaller size pieces if you use large ones such as Jumbo Marshmallows.
- Melt Butter in a frying pan, non-stick preferred, OR large saucepan over LOW heat, add a pinch Salt and Marshmallows, and use a heat-proof spatula to stir until all Marshmallows are melted. *Note: Occasionally remove from heat as it is easy to burn. Keep stirring until mixture is smooth.
- Add Rice Bubbles and combine well. It would be very sticky and gooey. Transfer to the prepared tin.
- Now you need a wet large spoon. Wet the spoon with water and spread the mixture evenly, occasionally wet the spoon with water, and press down the mixture.
- Cool until firmly set. I recommend to cool it in the fridge. When it is firm, cut into squares or bars.
- *Note: Replace 1 cup Rice Bubbles with broken Sweet Biscuits, chopped Nuts OR Dried Fruit, etc. The photo below is made with Chocolate Biscuits (Oreo without cream) and Almonds.