Christmas is approaching and it is summer in Melbourne. On a hot day like today, I only want to eat something cold and refreshing. ‘Salad Udon’ is a perfect choice and it can be made very quickly using Frozen Udon. For toppings, add whatever you like or you have in hand. This is a very popular summer dish in Japan.
1 serving Cooked Udon Noodles *Frozen Udon recommended
Vegetables *e.g. Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomato, Sprouts, Edamame Beans, Sweet Corn, etc.
Protein *Cooked Chicken, Ham, Boiled Egg, Cooked Prawns, Canned Tuna, etc.
1/4 cup Mentsuyu *See Method 2
- For this dish, you need chilled ‘Mentsuyu’ (Noodle Dipping Sauce).
- If you want to make the sauce just for this dish, combine 1/4 cup Water, 1/8 teaspoon Dashi Powder, 1 & 1/2 tablespoons Soy Sauce and 1 tablespoon Mirin in a small saucepan, bring to the boil, and simmer for a minute. Then allow to cool. When it is cool enough, chill in the fridge.
- Prepare Udon Noodles. Cook Udon according to the instruction. Frozen Udon can be just warmed. Rinse under cold water, then drain well.
- Place drained cold Udon Noodles in a deep plate, cover with the toppings of your choice. *Note: Today I added Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomato, Sweet Corn and leftover Roasted Chicken.
- Pour the chilled ‘Mentsuyu’ over, drizzle with some Japanese Mayonnaise, and enjoy.
Leave a Reply