‘Takikomigohan’ is a Japanese dish of Rice that is cooked with ingredients and seasonings. If you have a rice cooker, ‘Takikomigohan’ is super easy to cook. Today I cooked Rice with Salmon and Asparagus. Butter & Soy Sauce flavour is very popular in Japan, and Salmon and Asparagus taste lovely in this flavour.
200 to 300g Salmon Fillets OR Off-cuts *skinless, bones removed
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine)
2 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
400ml Dashi Stock *OR Water 400ml & Dashi Powder 1/2 teaspoon
20g Butter *cut into small cubes
1/4 teaspoon Ground Chilli OR Black Pepper
1 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 bunch (about 160g) Thick Asparagus *trimmed and cut into 1-2cm pieces
- Cut skinless Salmon Fillets into chunky pieces, add Salt and Sake and massage. Cover and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Wash Rice well, then soak in clean water for 30 minutes OR while you are preparing other ingredients.
- Drain the rice and place it into the rice cooker’s inner pot. Add Dashi Stock, Butter, Chilli and Soy sauce. Scatter Garlic, Asparagus and Salmon pieces on top. DO NOT stir.
- Set the rice cooker at ‘Quick Cook’ mode, if your rice cooker has it, and press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- When the rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes. Then loosen and mix gently.