If you love salmon, you would love this rice dish. Using rice cooker, it is absolutely easy to make such an elegant looking and nutritious dish. I used just salmon this time, but sometimes I add Carrot, shredded Kombu (Kelp) and some Asian Mushrooms such as Shimeji or Shiitake, and you can mix in Edamame after rice is cooked. Those extra ingredients will make the dish even more nutritious.
Japanese Short Grain Rice 2 cups *180ml cup
Dashi Stock 400ml *OR Water 400ml & Dashi Powder 1/2 teaspoon
Soy Sauce 1 to 2 tablespoons
Salmon Fillets OR Off-cuts about 200g *skinless, bones removed
Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Sake (Rice Wine) 1 to 2 tablespoons
*Toppings for extra flavour: Shiso, Spring Onion, Toasted Sesame Seeds, Toasted Nori, Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix), etc.
- Cut skinless Salmon Fillets into chunky pieces, add Salt and Sake and massage. Cover and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water with your hand and drain the water. Repeat this a few more times until water flows through clear.
- Drain the rice and put it into the rice cooker’s inner pot. Add the Dashi Stock and Soy sauce. Place Salmon pieces on top and pour all the liquid as well.
- Press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- When the rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes. Then loosen and mix gently.
- Enjoy with some toppings of your choice. If you need more saltiness, sprinkle some salt over as required.
Leave a Reply