If you don’t mind your kitchen cooktop getting oily, deep-frying is the best way to cook Salt & Pepper Squid. I have tried oven-baking method, but deep-frying is better. And it is not too hard or scary to cook that way. Many people use Wheat Flour for coating, but my choice is definitely Rice Flour. And I recommend to add some Chilli Flakes as well.
2 to 3 Servings
250g Squid Tubes *I used medium size Squid Tubes
Oil for frying
2 tablespoons Rice Flour
2 tablespoons Potato Starch *OR Corn Starch
1 teaspoon Fine Salt
1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
Chilli Flakes *optional for extra heat
- Combine all the ingredients of Seasoned Flour. You must mix them very well, so that Salt and Pepper are evenly blended.
- Pat dry Squid Tubes with paper towel and cut into the size that is easy to eat. Today I cut them into 2cm-wide rings. If the tubes are large, you might need to cut them differently.
- Coat each Squid piece with the Seasoned Flour very well.
- Heat Oil to 180°C. Cook coated Squid pieces until cooked through and crispy. Squid can be cooked fairly quickly. Take them out and lay them on a rack or paper towel to drain the oil.
- Serve with a refreshing Salad or enjoy with chilled BEER!