My Scone recipes are all based on Auntie Lorna’s scone recipe. Lorna’s scones are made with basic ingredients only. I started to use Buttermilk instead of regular Milk, and the Buttermilk version makes even nicer Scones. Today I added some grated Cheese and Chives to make these Savoury Scones. Lorna’s recipe has been evolving into a variety of Scones.
3 cups Self-Raising Flour *plus extra for dusting
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Caster Sugar
80g Cold Regular Salted Butter
1/2 cup coarsely grated Tasty Cheese (Cheddar)
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped Chives
1 & 1/3 cups Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 220℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place Flour, Salt and Sugar in a large bowl. Cut the Butter into small cubes and add to the flour mixture. Now you’d better cold your hands if your hands are warm. Using fingertips, rub the Butter pieces into the flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Do not over do it.
- Add grated Cheese and chopped Chives, and mix to combine. Add Buttermilk and stir until a sticky dough forms. Knead gently until just combined and smooth.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hand to gently flatten the dough to 2cm thick. Then cut out scones using a round cutter or a drinking glass. *Note: Today I used 7cm cutter and made 12 scones.
- Place scones on prepared tray. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and hollow when tapped on top. Enjoy these Scones warm.