I am very fond of ‘Takikomigohan’ which is seasoned rice cooked with vegetables, mushrooms, seafood or chicken. As you can find quite a few recipes of ‘Takikomigohan’ on this site, I cook them often. Here is another one. I always use less-expensive frozen small scallops for this dish, but large good quality ones are just excellent, of course.
Scallops 200 to 300g
Sake (Rice Wine) 1 tablespoon
Salt a pinch
Japanese Short Grain Rice 2 cups *180ml cup
Dashi Stock 400ml
Soy Sauce 1 to 2 tablespoons
Ginger 1 small piece *sliced into fine strips
Enoki 100g *cut to 2 to 3cm length
Spring Onion 2 *finely chopped
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix)
Toasted Sesame Seeds *optional
- If you use Frozen Scallops, thaw them thoroughly. Place scallops in a bowl, add a pinch Salt and Sake and massage. Set aside while you are preparing Rice and Enoki.
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water with your hand and drain the water. Repeat this a few more times until water flows through clear.
- Drain the rice and put it into the rice cooker’s inner pot. Add the Dashi Stock and Soy sauce. Place Ginger and Enoki, then Scallops on top. DO NOT stir.
- Press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- When the rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes. Then loosen and mix gently.
- Sprinkle some chopped Spring Onion and Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) over. Toasted Nori and Toasted Sesame Seeds are also yummy with this dish.
Leave a Reply