As a substitute for Milk, Coconut Milk is popularly used when make cakes, but you cannot avoid the smell of Coconut. Another popular substitute is Silken Tofu, that is more concentrated than Soy Milk. Please use good quality fresh Silken Tofu for good result.
300g Silken Tofu
1/2 cup Oil *I used Sunflower Oil
1/2 cup Caster Sugar OR Brown Sugar *firmly packed
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Bi-Carb Soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Rum *optional, but highly recommended
1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cupful Dairy-Free Chocolate *optional, chips OR coarsely chopped pieces
Walnuts OR Almonds for topping *optional
Icing Sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 170℃. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with cases.
- Place Silken Tofu in a mixing bowl, you do not need to drain, and use a whisk to process into paste.
- Add all other ingredients except for Self-Raising Flour and Chocolate, and mix well until smooth. *Note: It’s OK if there are small bits of Tofu.
- Sift in Self-Raising Flour and use a spatula to mix, add Chocolate and mix to combine. DO NOT overmix it.
- Spoon the mixture into each case. Add some Nuts (*optional) on top and slightly push them into the batter. Bake for 20 minutes OR until cooked through.
- Cool on a wire rack. Dust with Icing Sugar before serve.
Leave a Reply