Soba Salad is becoming popular in Australia and there are many creative Soba Salad recipes out there. But, as a Japanese, I strongly believe that Soba tastes the best with ‘Mentsuyu’, and it is easy to make.
2 servings Soba Noodles
150 to 200g Pork *thinly sliced
Salt & Pepper
Potato Starch Flour *optional
A few thin slices Ginger
1/4 Onion *thinly sliced
Salad Vegetables *e.g. Cucumber, Lettuce, etc.
1 cup Mentsuyu
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Powder)
- Slice Pork as thinly as you can. The thinner, the better. If not thin enough, you can pound the slices using a meat mallet.
- Lightly season with Salt & Pepper, and coat with Potato Starch Flour. The starch layer will become jelly-like and add a lovely texture. *Note: You can omit the starch.
- Cut all Salad Vegetables into thin strips. Slice Ginger into fine strips.
- Combine ‘Mentsuyu’ and Lemon Juice in a small bowl.
*Note: Wasabi flavoured ‘Mentsuyu’ is also very nice for this salad. Add some Wasabi instead of Lemon juice.
- Cook Soba Noodles as instructed. Basically you cook the noodles in rapidly boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. When Soba Noodles are almost cooked, add Pork slices and cook until the colour has changed. It won’t take long at all. Drain and rinse under cold water, then drain well.
- Place cold Soba noodles on a deep plate, arrange Salad Vegetables, Pork and Ginger on top, and pour the ‘Mentsuyu’ sauce (with Lemon Juice OR Wasabi) over. Sprinkle some Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) and enjoy.