Steamed glutinous rice dishes can be cooked by rice cooker. It’s much easier and quicker, which is more suitable for our modern lifestyle. Just like other my glutinous rice dishes, this dish is also really yummy and easy to cook. If you like ‘Mochi’, you would love its rubbery texture.
4 to 6 Servings
Glutinous Rice 2 cups (180ml cup) *short grain preferred
Japanese Short Grain Rice 1 cup (180ml cup)
Squid 1 *about 400g
Ginger 1 small piece *sliced into thin strips
Sake 2 tablespoons
Soy Sauce 1 tablespoon
Spring Onion 2 *finely chopped
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) *optional
Dashi Stock 450ml *OR Water 450ml & Dashi Powder 1 teaspoon
Soy Sauce 2 tablespoons
Sugar 1 tablespoon *extra 1/2 tablespoon can be added for sweeter flavour
- Wash Glutinous Rice and Regular Short Grain Rice together and drain.
- Clean the Squid, slice the body into 7 to 8mm rings, and cut large tentacles in half.
- Place Squid in a bowl, add Ginger, Sake and Soy Sauce and massage, set aside for 10 minutes.
- Make soup by mixing all ingredients.
- Place well-drained Rice in the rice cooker’s inner pot, place Squid & Ginger mixture over the Rice. DO NOT MIX. Gently pour the soup over.
- Plug the rice cooker in and press the Cook/Start button. When the rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes, then toss the rice gently. Sprinkle Spring Onion and Shichimi over to serve.