Sir-fried meat and veggies with rice can be a quick & satisfying everyday dinner for busy family. I often cook this dish especially when cabbages are in season as they are juicy and sweet. Minced meat is always reasonably priced and it is easy to use. The cost of this dish for 4 people can be only $10.
1/2 Cabbage *about 500g
500g Pork Mince
1 small piece Ginger *grated or finely chopped
1 tablespoon Oil
1 teaspoon Potato Starch Flour *mixed with 2 teaspoons Water
Toasted Sesame Seeds
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) *optional
3 tablespoons Miso *add extra 1 tablespoon if required
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine) OR Water
2 tablespoons Mirin
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Toban Djan (Chili Bean Sauce)
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil *for flavour, optional
- Make sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Taste the sauce and add extra Miso or Soy Sauce if required, depending on the saltiness of Miso you use.
- Cut Cabbage leaves into 3cm pieces.
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan of wok over the high heat, cook Pork Mince and Ginger. When Pork changed colour, add Cabbage and cook, stirring, until Cabbage is softened.
- Add the sauce and mix to combine. Slightly lower the heat and keep cooking for 1-2 minutes, and there should be quite a bit of liquid in the pan. Add the starch mixture to the liquid and mix well to combine.
- Sprinkle some Toasted Sesame Seeds, Spring Onion and/or Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix), and enjoy with freshly cooked rice.